Keyboard is the main component which is used for interacting with the computer. As keyboard is extensively used, it is prone to attract dust and to accident spillage of liquids. All these reduce the life of the keyboard and also produces unpleasant for typing.
It takes only a little effort to clean your Keyboard, which ensures life of keyboard. Sticky Keys, also caused by accident spillage of liquids onto keyboard, and over time without proper cleaning of the keys.
Traditional Keyboard Cleaning methods cleans the outer surface of the keyboard and the sides of the keys. But most of the dust, food particles, hairs will get collected inside the keys. Often it is not that hard to clean these dust particles inside the keys.
- A hand Held vacuum Cleaner or a Can of Compressed air
- Few cotton Swabs
- A Screwdriver
- Alcohol Cleaning Solution (preferably Isopropyl Alcohol)
Traditional method of Cleaning Keyboard
Hand Held Vacuum Cleaner or Can of Compressed Air
Traditional method of cleaning often uses a can of compressed air or Hand held Vacuum Cleaner to blow out the dust particles from the keyboard.
1. Unplug the Keyboard.
2. Hold the Keyboard in Horizontal Position and position the nozzle of Vacuum cleaner or compressed air inside the keys and blow.
3. This should blow away most of the loose particles in the Keyboard.
This method is effective to clean out the loose dust particles present in the surface of the keyboard. But this method cannot remove more stubborn dust clinging on to the Keys.
Cotton Swabs dipped in Isopropyl alcohol
Another method uses a cotton swab dipped in cleaning alcohol, for cleaning the keys along with its sides.
1. Unplug the keyboard.
2. After blown away most of the dust particles, take a cotton Swab and dip it in Isopropyl alcohol( or any cleaning alcohol).
3. Gently clean off the surface and the sides of the keyboard with the cotton swab.
4. Allow the keyboard to dry for sometime.
This method is effective method of cleaning keyboard and the sides of the keys. But still some of the dust particles may have penetrated inside the keys of the keyboard.
Cleaning the Keyboard by removing the Keys
This method is used to clean the sticky keys problem, which is caused by spilling of any liquids. It involves removing all the keys from the keyboard and cleaning them separately. Also the food particles, hair or any particles suspended inside the keys also be cleaned by use of this method.
1. Unplug the keyboard.
2. Using a Screwdriver or a Butter Knife, gently pull out the keys from its position. The keys will pop out from its position.
3. After the key has been popped out, you could see all the dust particles, food particles that has been accumulated these days.
Now clean your popped out keys thoroughly before inserting. Also take a cleaning alcohol or brush and clean the dust and food particles present inside those keys.
Also take care when removing the Space Bar. It is a long key in the keyboard and it is more likely to break when pulled off improperly with great force.
Note: You can remove all the keys from the Keyboard to clean it thoroughly and inserting them back. Take the keys and clean it thoroughly in Soap solution. Be careful as not to remove the key markings over it.
For inserting back, you need a reference which key goes where. to insert it. Use the below standard Keyboard layout to insert the keys back.
4. After cleaning the keys, let it dry for sometime before inserting it. For inserting the keys, just place the key in its position and gently press it. The keys should fit perfectly in its position.
Note: When placing the keys, just a gentle push will be enough. Since the locking mechanism is made of plastic in most of the keyboard, be more careful when pressing the keys.