This step by step guide shows how to install Windows 7 in your computer. Since its best to do clean install of Windows 7, this tutorial covers how to do a clean install of Windows 7.
Note: If you are reinstalling windows, make sure that you do a backup Ten Things to backup when reinstalling Windows to avoid any personal data loss.
Things needed before starting installation
- Windows 7 DVD
- Windows Product key (Optional as you can install without Product key and activate windows later)
- Hardware Drivers that are compatible with windows 7. If not download drivers from manufacturer’s website.
- If you are reinstalling, backup your personal data
1. Boot your computer from the DVD. How to boot from DVD helps you to change the boot priority to DVD.
All the Windows 7 DVD are bootable and hence it can used for booting from DVD.
2. You will get the following screen, if you have changed the boot priority correctly.
3. Windows will install the necessary files for the setup to continue and will prompt you to select Language, Time Zone and the Currency used in order to continue the setup.
4. Windows will display a screen in which you have to click Install Now. This screen also used to repair your computer (i.e.) to copy the core windows files if your previous installation got corrupted.
5. Windows will prompt you to select Architecture of the Windows to be used i.e. 32 bit windows or 64 bit windows.
The difference between the both is not much. 64 bit windows will support more memory as it has more address bit. If you are using less that 4 GB RAM, its better to select 32 bit windows (x86 Architecture).
6. Windows will display the License Agreement and you are bound to these license agreement when you are using the Windows 7. You need to accept the license agreement in order to the Windows Setup to continue.
7. You need to select type installation you are going to proceed.
- Upgrade: This option is used to upgrade your previous Windows Versions to Windows 7. All your personal settings are mostly retained in this type of installation. However it is best to back up all your personal data.
- Custom: This is the advanced version of Windows Installation in which we can format and install a fresh copy of Windows into your computer.
Since we are doing a fresh install of Windows Select Custom option for the installation to continue.