Have you decided to format your computer, due to slow processing or some crappy thing happened to your computer. Well formatting windows was a troublesome task, with Windows 95/98. After advent of modern Windows versions, it has became a easy task.
Formatting your computer means wiping out every piece of data present in your computer and to start fresh from the scratch. If you have saved any pictures, or any data, that is gone forever. So it is important to take backup of all your personal data stored in you computer before thinking about formatting.
I have listed down the things you need to do before formatting your hard disk.
1. Backup My Documents Folder : Check which documents to take backup or take backup the entire the folder.
2. Check your Desktop : Check the items in your desktop and determine whether to backup the item.
3. Backup the E-Mail : If you have saved E-mails (*.pst) in your computer, do take a backup of them.
4. Backup the Favorites / Bookmarks : This is often overlooked, but it is good to take a backup of it.
5. Take Note of Serial Key used for your software’s. Make sure that you take note of the serial keys of Windows, Microsoft Office or any other software’s installed in your computer.
The serial key can be found in Help ->About option. You will thank me for asking you to take a backup of serial keys.
6. Backup Fonts! : This is also overlooked thing to take backup, but it will be handy to take backup of fonts.
7. Backup Saved Games / Configuration : If you have game that has a saved file or a software which saves the configuration, make sure that you backup those files.
8. Backup the Drivers : If you have Drivers CD that came with your device, you can skip this. But I highly recommend to take backup of all the drivers used. Most important among this will be MODEM driver, as you need it to connect to internet and download other drivers.
9. Backup downloaded programs :If you have downloaded an important program, that is hard to find in internet, then backup that program.
10. Finally, check your hard disk completely to find out whether you have any personal data in it.
How to take backup of data?
The best way to take backup of data is to burn it to a CD/DVD. Burning to DVD is a goop option as it can store huge amount of data in it. Also, if you or your friend has external hard disk, you can use it to backup data and to restore it.
Note : If you are formatting your computer due to virus infection, make sure that you install a good updated Anti – Virus software, before restoring the data from backup. Otherwise you might again end up with re-infection of virus.