This step by step guide shows how to install Windows Vista in your computer. Installing Vista is much easier than installing XP or any previous versions of Windows. Since its best to do clean install of Vista, this tutorial covers how to do a clean install of Windows Vista.
Note: If you are reinstalling windows, make sure that you follow these steps in Ten Things to backup when reinstalling Windows to avoid any personal data loss.
Things needed before starting installation
- Windows Vista DVD
- Windows Product key (Optional as you can install without Product key and activate windows later)
- Hardware Drivers that are compatible with windows vista. If not download drivers from manufacturer’s website.
- If you are reinstalling, backup your personal data
1. Boot your computer from the DVD. How to boot from DVD helps you to change the boot priority to DVD.
All the Windows Vista DVD are bootable and hence it can used for booting from DVD.
2. You will get the following screen, if you have changed the boot priority correctly.
3. Windows setup will load the necessary files and will show the GUI setup Interface. Then Windows setup will ask for Language and Time and input keyboard method to be used for the installation.
4. Next screen shows you the option to do a fresh Install or repair your existing windows Installation. As we are doing fresh Windows Installation, click Install Now.
Note: To repair your existing Installation click on the “Repair your Computer” option. This will search for existing instances of Windows Installation and attempt to Repair it.
5. You should type the Windows Product Key which came along with Windows DVD.
Note : You can continue the Installation without the Windows Key and you can later active your copy of windows. If you press next without entering Product Key, you will be prompt with the windows versions available. You should select the Windows Version that you have bought from Microsoft.