Installing Windows is not a rocket science, as this can be done by anyone who knows little about the computer. This guide gives the step by step information on how to install Windows XP to your computer.
Note: If you are reinstalling windows, make sure that you follow these steps in Ten Things to backup when reinstalling Windows to avoid any personal data loss.
Things needed before starting installation
- Windows XP CD/DVD
- Windows Product key
- Hardware Drivers
- If you are reinstalling, backup your personal data
Lets start the fun
1. Switch ON your computer or restart your computer, if it has already started.
2. Change the boot priority to CD. Insert the Windows CD in the CD Drive and restart the system.
Note : Your Windows CD should be bootable, otherwise it cannot be used to install directly from the CD.
3. If you have correctly changed the boot priority, you will get a screen like this.
Do as it says. “Press any key“.
Note : This prompt stays for some seconds and any key has be pressed between that time. Otherwise it will start to boot from hard disk. If you failed to press a key within that time, you can restart your computer and press a key.
4. Setup will inspect your computer hardware and will start the setup process.
5. Setup will start with a blue screen and it prompts to press F6 to install SCSI or RAID Drivers. These drivers help the windows to deduct the hard disk. If you are not using SCSI or RAID, then don press anything.