Cleaning your Computer Power Supply becomes critical as it may attract dust during the long run. Power Supply is a critical component in your computer as it supplies power all the components in your computer. If a power supply fails to supply power to other components you may face mysterious freezing problems and errors, even total shut down of your Computer.
Also if you hear some weird noises from your Power Supply fan, it is a certain indicator that it requires cleaning. A good cleaning not only ensures that your Power Supply will work properly, but it also prolongs the life of your Power Supply.
Important: Please be aware of the Problems of Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) to the internal components of your computer and steps to prevent it.
This tutorial shows you how to remove your SMPS and clean it thoroughly.
2. Remove all the connections from the Power Supply unit to the other peripherals.
Note: Some connectors may have a clip along with it (24 pin connector and 4 pin connector near to processor). So take care to remove the clip before removing those connectors from the components.
3. Remove the Power Supply screws from behind the cabinet. Make sure you hold the Power Supply unit before you remove the last screw. Or else, power supply unit may fall onto other components.
4. Now you should have removed your Power Supply from your Computer. Try to remove the screws from your Power Supply as shown in the image.
Note: From the image you can see that Manufacturer has a Sticker over a screw and it clearly says that Warranty is void if that sticker is damaged. So make up your mind about Warranty before removing that screw.
5. After removing the screws, you should be able to remove the top cover of the Power Supply.
6. Take a brush or a can of Compressed air and blow directly above it. This should remove most of the dust inside accumulated inside the Power Supply Unit.
When you blow the air, most of the dust will fly away. Wait for some time for the dust to settle down and blow air again. Repeat this until the dust stops coming for it.
Note : Never use your mouth to blow the air. Your mouth may contain food particles which may cause malfunction of your Power Supply.
7. Now remove the screws of the Power Supply fan as shown in the image.
8. Dust off the SMPS fan with a brush or compressed air. If necessary apply a drop or two oil for the efficient spinning of the fan.
Then again attach the fan with the fan blowing air outside. This ensures that hot air is blown outside and cold air will flow from other side.
9. Fix the Power Supply unit inside the computer cabinet and fix the connections to all the computer components.
Note: When fixing your Power Supply unit make sure that you lock your Power Supply correctly. Make sure that you lock the cover of the Power Supply inside, so that it is firmly fixed.
That’s it. You have cleaned your Power Supply unit. Now your Power Supply unit will run smoothly without any weird noises or anything. Make sure to clean your Power Supply once in a quarter to ensure smooth running.