The Optical Drives in your computer require constant cleaning than any other part of your computer. CD/DVD Drive work by focusing Laser light from the Drive lens, to the disk and then reads data by the light reflected from the Disk. The photo diodes present in the Drive, detects and decodes the information contained in the laser beam.
Over the time, dirt and dust start accumulating over the drive lens. These dust/dirt may present in the dirty CD/DVD that you insert into it. This blocks the laser from the drive lens, and your drive will start having problems in reading any disc you insert into it or fail to read/write disc completely.
The best solution is to clean your CD/DVD lens constantly, to make sure no dust or dirt accumulates over it. A good CD lens cleaner kit will do the job for you, but this workshop shows how you can open your CD/DVD drive and clean the Lens manually.
Important: Please be aware of the Problems of Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) to the internal components of your computer and steps to prevent it.
2. Inside your computer case, locate your CD/DVD Drive. It should be held by four screws, two on each side. Remove those screws and remove the connections from the CD/DVD drive.
In this image two drives are present and the screws to remove it are shown.
3. After removing the screws from either side, push the Drive from behind, you could able to remove the drive from front.
4. Now you need to open the CD tray. You can either connect it to power and press the Eject button.
Or you can use a paper pin to remove it. Insert a paper pin in the hole shown in the image. Insert it untill you fell little resistance. Now push it gently till the Tray pops out. Push it several times untill the tray is out.
5. Now with the tray open, you need to remove the front face of the drive. For that you need to find clip like thing with which the front face is attached to the drive as shown in image.
Press the Clip gently to push it out of the lock. There should be clips present in either sides of the drive. remove those clips to remove the front face of the drive completely.
5. Once you have the front face out, remove the four screws that hold the upper and lower part of the outer body as shown in image.
Yow should be able to remove the back panel, exposing the inner parts.
7. Now take a Cotton Swab and gently remove any dust present inside. You can also slightly moisten your swab with alcohol before you start your cleaning.
Note: Take great care when cleaning the CD lens as it is so sensitive. when cleaning the lens, you feel like the whole lens is going down when you touch it. It is normal and the lens need to move up and for their normal operation. Just clean the lens softly with a cotton swab.
Since Optical drives are vulnerable to dust and dirt, it is recommended to clean your optical drives regularly. Also most of dust comes from the dirty CD/DVD it is always advisable to clean your disc before inserting into the drive.