Why battery is used inside a computer?
A CMOS(Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) saves all the BIOS information that you have configured in your computer. But CMOS a volatile memory, it needs a power to store all the information even your computer is powered OFF. So, we need a battery inside the computer to provide power to the CMOS even when your computer is turned OFF.
But when a battery runs out of power, it often causes your computer to lose time/date settings and may cause CMOS Read Error, CMOS Checksum error problems.
Note: Before changing the battery, you can try leaving your computer ON for 24 hours, as the battery can get charged by this time. As most of these batteries are not rechargeable, the chances of battery recharging are very slim.
Steps to change the battery
1. Switch OFF your computer.
2. Unplug the power cord from the computer power supply unit.
4. Locate the battery on the motherboard. Most modern computers use a coin battery for CMOS as shown in the image.
Note: If you are unable to locate the battery, refer to you mother board manual or contact computer manufacturer for the info
5. If your computer uses a battery as shown in the image, removing the battery becomes relatively easy. Most of the motherboard has a clip to hold the battery in place. You need to press the clip as shown in image such that the battery pops out of the container.
6. Once you have removed your battery, note down the specifications given in the battery and buy a new one with same specifications.
As you can see in the image, battery number that is used in most computers is CR2032. If you want to play safe, then you can take the battery to the shop and buy a identical battery.
Note: You can turn ON your computer without a CMOS Battery. No harm is done to your computer except that your computer your computer will load BIOS defaults.
7. Once you have bought a new battery, you can install the battery by just inserting the battery into the battery container. If you have a clip to hold the battery, make sure that your clip is holding your battery firmly.
If you are looking to load BIOS defaults by removing the battery, then remove the battery, wait for 1 hour and then install the battery.
Even after following the above steps, are you facing the same problem as before. Send us your problem along with the complete configuration of your computer from Contact Us and we are happy to help you.